New Mexico is one of those places that has developed its own unique cuisine. True Northern New Mexican cooking is unobtainable anywhere else in the USA. It is characterized by its chile's - red and green. Beware, they can be very hot and the locals will show no sympathy for Anglos with weak palates. Ask about heat and don't assume that red is always hotter than green.
- Geronimo 724 Canyon Road, (505) 982-1500. A favorite high-end restaurant in Santa Fe. Expensive, elegant, and well worth the cost. The best of Santa Fe fusion cooking. Continental, a bit of Asian, and a splash of the Southwest.
- El Mesón 213 Washington Avenue, (505) 983-6756. A supurb Spanish restaurant that specializes in tapas and paella.
- Pranzo Italian Grill 540 Montezuma Ave, (505) 984-2645. A good italian restaurant in the Sanbusco Center.
- Raaga 544 Agua Fria St, Santa Fe, NM 87501, (505) 820-6440. Superb Indian food in a lovely setting. Our favorite Indian restaurant, and that includes New York City.
- Atrisco Cafe & Bar 193 Paseo De Peralta,
(505) 983-7401. Located in the De Vargas Center just down the hill. Our current favorite local restaurant. Great Northern New Mexican. Very family friendly.
- Tomasita's 500 S. Guadalupe, (505) 983-5721. An excellent place to sample local Northern New Mexican cuisine. Try the green chili and a sopapilla with honey for lunch. Family friendly.
- Tia Sophia's 210 W. San Francisco. Breakfast and lunch only - closes at 2:00 pm. Located just off The Plaza. Classic Northern New Mexican cuisine.
- Los Potrillos 1947 Cerrillos Rd, (505) 992-0550. Genuine Mexican cooking. Very reasonable prices and family friendly.
- Gabriel's Locaded on Highway 285/84 just north of Santa Fe. Northern New Mexican cooking for the entire family. Located in a spanish hacienda with an open inner courtyard that is wonderful in warm weather. Try the guacamole which is freshly made at the table.